Monday 8 July 2013

Kirkwood

It has become another theatre filled time, so off we went to see Chimerica last week, I think I booked on the strength of the Time Out review - 5 stars aren't that frequent - and the plot sounded interesting. I then recalled I had seen another of Lucy Kirkwood's plays at the Royal Court, NSFW, which I thought was very good. 

It was my first time at The Almeida Theatre and I was blown away by Chimerica - the plot's main strand is a photographer searching for the Tank Man of Tiananmen Square - in the play, he has taken that iconic shot in 1989.




And he now wants to know if the Tank Man is still alive and who he is, as we follow his trail around America, other strands are weaved into the play: growth, censorship, protest, politics. 

Like NSFW, it deals with moral issues very well, remembering there are many grey areas, whilst also been very sharp - it is getting transferred to the West End and I thoroughly recommended. Think I will keep an eye out for her next play as well. 


No comments: